Monday, December 20, 2010

Stealing from Sookie's Kitchen!

I remember one Christmas holiday re-watching Gilmore Girls on DVD.  If you know the series at all you will know Sookie St. James is the cook on the show.  Long before Sookie Stackhouse ran with vampires, Sookie St. James' character was a quirky fun loving clumsy cook with a kitchen to die for including an amazing bulletin board for notes, recipes and all sorts of fun memories. .  I love the organized chaos it portrayed and quickly searched my house for materials to make one for my own kitchen.

  

I came up with an old gold frame, faded floral materials and satin ribbon.  I was lucky to also have some foam core in my house for the backing and voila - a new winter project came to life!  With a few pins and hot glue to hold the ribbon and fabric in place around the boarder of the foam core - it was a simple matter of popping the project into the frame and adding bits and pieces of fun cards and memories.  I change it up often and love that I have an area to keep the sentiments my friends and family give to me rather than storing them in a drawer.  

This lead to me taking trips to the local Value Village for other frames to paint up and turn into boards for fundraising projects or mini boards for my friend's desks.  It was easy to turn any size frame into a board.  These are a really easy and inexpensive project that could be nicely added to a front hall, laundry room or home office as well!

1 comment: