Thursday, December 2, 2010

Getting Started

Update - Third time is the charm - vintage green works the best.


Previous Look
Kitchen Island Project
At the suggestion of my friend Quincin, I decided to start a blog to share some of my projects and potentially get some new ideas from others.  I'm big on before and after pictures so bear with me.  I have to say that I've been fortunate to find some second hand furniture for really great prices or for free.  This piece was in really rough shape when I first found it at the second hand shop close to my house.  I left it as a natural wood piece for quite a while before deciding I had way too much wood in my kitchen.  I was shooting for a Parisian feel but it became more Mediterranean in style.  

How to achieve this look:
Give the piece a light sanding.  Use a standard egg shell finish paint in any colour of your choosing.  I'm a fan of CIL paint myself.  Paint at least two coats and allow to dry.  Rough up the edges and certain portions of the flat surfaces on your piece.  Finish up with a mahogany stain - oil base is fine but takes longer to dry.  Just wipe stain on with a rag and have a secondary rag to wipe the excess stain.

No comments:

Post a Comment