Friday, April 29, 2011

Paris Framed

I've had this old wooden bed frame for quite some time and although it wasn't my favourite, it certainly served its purpose until I found what I was really looking for.  The biggest problem is that I know what style of bed frame I want - it just isn't sold in Canada. In the mean time - this old frame is chipped and looking more ragged by the day.

My solution...come up with a new way to refresh the frame beyond a simple paint job. I'm actually quite happy with how this project turned out and it inspired smaller projects along a similar theme.



My main inspiration came from painted letters you would find on food or potato sacks.  Burlap wasn't going to work in my room so I opted for some soft grey canvas that just happened to be on sale (I love the buy 1 metre get 2 metres free sale)!

I found an address in Paris to use as for the design framed by olive leaves and created my own stencil.

Stencils are so easy to create yourself.  Simply print the word, saying or design out as large as you like on a standard piece of paper. Before you cut out your design - put a layer of clear packing tape over it so your stencil becomes hardier and won't be destroyed when you apply the paint on to it.


I ended up replicating a portion of the pattern on to lampshades and simple white pillow cases.  The overall effect is quite nice and cost me all of $14 for fabric.  I'm never sure when I start these projects if they will actually turn out but luckily this one did.

1 comment: